I make things from time to time. You can see them here.
In 2009 I started ZeroCater. That story is here.
In 2016 some friends and I started The Archive – a communal living house with
ten sixteen residents. I now consider this one of the best decisions I ever made.
In 2017 I invested in Longevity Fund, which invests in early stage biotech companies working on increasing human healthspan. I was also (very incidentally) mentioned in a New Yorker article on Silicon Valley’s Quest to Live Forever.
In 2018 after nine years of running ZeroCater I handed over the reins to our amazing COO (now CEO). I remain involved as Chairman of the Board. I was also interviewed on The Morning Show about what it’s like to live at The Archive.
- Science & Engineering
- Engineering a solution to aging
- Rationality & how to make better decisions
- Effective Altruism
- Existential Risk Reduction
- Startup Investing
- Communal Living
Stuff That’s Happened to Me
- I took a photo that may now be one of the most reproduced images in history.
- I once came up with an idea with a friend that accidentally became a national TV ad featuring Nicki Minaj, Serena Williams, Usher, Kylie and Kendall Jenner.
- I once crashed a fashion show, pretended to be a model, and walked on-stage as dozens of photographers snapped pictures of me.
- I was paid in whiskey for a live harmonica performance at a jazz bar in Tokyo. I don’t play harmonica particularly well.
- I DJ’d for Chamillionaire. I don’t know how to DJ.
- I was yelled at for five minutes by the founder of Skye Vodka for taking his favorite table at a restaurant.
- I’ve discovered and excavated dinosaur bones in the Montana badlands.
Favorite essays and videos
- The Fable of the Dragon-Tyrant – Nick Bostrom
- Astronomical Waste – Nick Bostrom
- Remedial Worldly Wisdom – Charlie Munger
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
- Elon Musk on what it takes
- Ira Glass on how long it takes to get good
- Ben Horowitz on The Struggle
- What You’ll Wish You’d Known – Paul Graham
- Cargo Cult Science – Richard Feynman
- A Thinking Ape’s Critique of Trans-Simianism
The Most Important Graph in the World